In addition to protecting your family, life insurance can also be used to accumulate wealth for future needs. There are various options (listed below) available depending on the specific needs of the individual. Our advisors will be happy to assist you with these.
- Financial Security of the Family
- Child's Education
- Child's Marriage
- Wealth Creation
Tax benefits available when buying life insuranceLife Insurance policies issued in India come with added tax benefits that make these policies a cost-effective long-term protection cum investment option. They currently fall under the "EEE" regime i.e. the premiums paid, income earned, and payment of maturity proceeds or claims are all 100% exempt (E) from tax.
At the time of purchase of the policy, an investment of 1 lac or more can save you 30,900 in income tax. Of course you can choose to buy a policy for a larger amount but the tax exemption will be limited to an investment amount of 1 lac.
Kindly contact our tax advisor at a branch to help you plan your taxes. This service is available free of cost up to 31st March 2012.You can also use our online TaxAssist Calculator.
More on tax benefits through life insurance
Equity Linked Savings Scheme – An extremely low cost growth option
ELSS are mutual fund schemes that invest primarily in domestic equity markets. Historically, these schemes have given very good returns and have usually outperformed the equity markets. They come with a 3 year lock in period which in turn allows the fund managers to take more aggressive calls yielding potentially better returns.ELSS is alsoan eligible tax-saving investment under SEC 80C of Income Tax Act 1961, where investment upto 1lac is eligible for deduction from your total income. You can save up to 30,900 in taxes by investing 1 lac in ELSS.
The key advantages of ELSS are:
- Tax benefits under section 80C with potential saving of 30,900 at the time of investment
- Dividends also tax free
- Zero long term capital gains tax on withdrawal
- Many different schemes and companies to choose from
- Potential formuch higher returns compared to other tax saving instruments
- Convenience and flexibility of investing with either a one-time lump sum purchase option or automatic monthly debits through SIPs
Health Insurance a must in this age of rising healthcare costsOver the last few years healthcare costs in India have spiralled upwards. There has never been a greater need for individuals and families to ensure that they are financially protected from the cost of a sudden medical exigency.
To encourage purchase of health insurance, the Government of India has extended certain tax benefits. These are explained below.
- Health insurance for self and family - For individuals less than 65 years of age, an amount of health insurance premium paid subject to an upper limit of 15,000 is exempt from tax. This amounts to a maximum tax saving of 4,635.
- Health insurance for dependent parents who are senior citizens- For individuals above 65 years of age, the amount of health insurance premium paid subject to an upper limit of 20,000 is exempt from tax.This amounts to a maximum tax saving of 6,180.
- Health insurance for parents who are not senior citizens - A further deduction of 15,000 can be availed of by buying health insurance for your parents who are below 65 years of age. Their dependency on you isn´t necessary. This again results in a maximum tax saving of 4,635.
Avail tax benefits through Family Health and Silver Health insurance policies
- Hospital Reimbursement: Reimbursement of your hospital expenses in case of sudden illness, accident or emergency surgeries
- Hospital Cash Payout: Additional cash benefit for each and every completed day of hospitalization at a very competitive price.
- Income tax benefit under section 80D*
- Cashless facility at over 2300 empanelled hospitals
- Hospitalization expense reimbursement for non-empanelled hospitals
- Single floater policy option for the entire family
- Hospital cash benefits to take care of daily expenses
- All expenses incurred 60 days pre and 90 days post hospitalization are covered
- 130 day care procedures covered (which do not require 24 hours of hospitalization)
- Ambulance charges upto 1,000 covered
- Pre-existing illnesses covered after 4 years
Some of the benefits of the policy are:
- Tax benefit: Tax benefit under section 80 D of the Income Tax Act*
- Hospitalization expenses: The policy covers hospitalization expenses and anamount equivalent to 3% of the admissible hospitalization expenses in respectto any and all pre and post hospitalization expenses
- Cashless Facility: Access to the cashless facility at various network hospitals across India. (In case of treatment at a hospital outside the network, the expenses shall be reimbursed within 14 working days with20% of co-payment to be paid by the member)
- Pre-existing Illnesses: Pre-existing illness covered from the second year of policyonly up to 50% of the limit of indemnity in a policy year.
- Ambulance Benefit: Covers ambulance charges in an emergency subject to alimit of 1,000
- Indemnity: The policy has a lifetime indemnity limit of three times the limit ofindemnity specified in the earliest senior citizen plan, if the policy is renewedcontinuously
- Bonus: Cumulative bonus of 5% to the Limit of Indemnity for every claim freeyear and a family discount of 5%
- Health check-up: Health checkup in designated Bajaj Allianz diagnosticcentres at the end of four continuous claim free years
Infrastructure Bonds :
Infrastructure Bonds- A new tax saving optionInfrastructure Bonds are a new investment option introduced recently by the Government of India. Investments in these government notified bonds up to 20,000 can save you 6,180 in tax u/s 80 CCF. This benefit is over and above the tax benefits available u/s 80C.
Infrastructure Bonds offer fixed rate of returns for varied tenors much like bank fixed deposits but with the added advantage of tax benefits.
To invest in Infrastructure Bonds, kindly contact our advisor at a branch. This service is available free of cost up to 31st March 2012.You can also use our TaxAssist Calculator to plan your taxes.
Source : axisbank