Even though it’s been around for thousands of years, acupuncture can have a “new age” feel to it that doesn’t seem to jive with modern medicine. The truth: according to the World Health Organization, controlled trials show that it’s been proven effective for a wide variety of treatments:
1. Acupuncture can relieve daily symptoms such as allergic rhinitis (including hay fever), headaches, rheumatoid arthritis and sciatica.
2. Acupuncture can help heal sports injuries such as sore knees, tennis elbow, lower back pain and sprains.
3. Acupuncture is an effective alternative to drugs for the treatment of depression, drug and alcohol addiction, and other addictive behaviors such as smoking and overeating.
4. Acupuncture can relieve adverse reactions to radiotherapy and/or chemotherapy.
5. Acupuncture can enhance the chances of becoming pregnant when used with other reproductive techniques – and can also help reduce morning sickness.
According to Tina Kellen Matthews, a licensed acupuncturist, the treatment is also effective for:
6. Stress reduction and better sleep
7. Strengthening and supporting the immune system